Wednesday, June 18, 2008

The Story Is Written!

Well, big news: this week, I finished writing my third novel-length story, Riders of the Mapinguari. No, the book itself is not complete, but only submitted to my publisher for editing. I will likely get the manuscript back in about a month's time, and then dig into the revisions. But the important thing is, the story is complete.

And what a story, too. This is the third installment in The Feral World, which takes place in a primitive future, 3,000 years from now. In the first book, Migration of the Kamishi, the reader meets Blake, a young man from Kamis (South Dakota to us) who must flee south after an enemy tribe destroys his homeland. In the second book, Trials of the Warmland, Blake and his friends reach their destination, the Warmland, but find that life there is far harder than they expected. And now, in the third book, Blake and his people must defend their home against the mighty Invaders and their army of mapinguari, who plan to seize the Warmland
for themselves.

I started writing Riders over a year ago, inspired to continue telling Blake's story, and compelled to explore the Feral World with him. I really wonder what my country will look like in 3,000 years. What will have happened to the landscape by then? What will the plants and animals be like, where will they be, and how will they fair? What will the people think, and say, and do?

In the Feral World, people have become Bebelishi, and shun the ways of civilization and Management - the Old Ways. Instead, they live as nomads, hunt big game, and flow with the seasons. My work on Riders is not done, but it feels great to know that the story has come into being. Now, all I have to do is fine tune it with my editor, and then I can share it with you.

Gaddy
http://www.GaddyBergmann.com

No comments: