Sunday, June 22, 2008

Down With the Riders

Reproduced from http://www.MySpace.com/GaddyBergmann

Friday, April 25, 2008

Down with the Riders

Current mood: sleepy

Well, my third novel is coming along very well. Not fast, but well. The two main characters, Blake and Lana, continue to surprise me. It's amazing: I created them, and yet they have a life of their own. I guess that's a good sign. Anyway, I love trying to keep up with them.

I came up with the Feral World many years ago, and now I find that my attitude toward it has changed; I'm sure that's a good sign, too. I used to think of the Feral World as a utopia, an idealistic neverland that we should still strive for somehow. But the longer I live, the more I realize why the real world is not the Feral World, and the reasons for that are both understandable and abominable at the same time.

So, in this third book, Riders of the Mapinguari, Blake and his people experience an entirely new threat to their way of life: the Terran Invaders from beyond the Gulf. The effects of this Invasion on the Warmland will be felt for generations...and that, I suppose, is why our own world is the way it is, too.

I wish I could tell you more, really I do, but I wouldn't dream of cheating you out of your own experience of exploring the Feral World. Exploration can be such a rare and precious thing. Real journeys - whether physical travels or journeys of the mind - are such wonderful, memorable experiences. I hope my stories take you on such a journey, inspire to strike out on one, at least remind you of one from your own past.

Suffice it to say, for now, that the mapinguari are some of the most fascinating creatures I've ever explored. My only regret is that I will never see one with my own eyes, unless, of course, they actually turn up someday, much like the gorilla and okapi did many decades ago. Well, a guy can dream.

Gaddy Bergmann

http://www.GaddyBergmann.com


No comments: